18 October 2010

Rest for the Weary... (sigh)

So tonight I try again. After a day of little accomplishment-- more accurately, MOM TOOK A BREAK!, I have rearranged some sleeping quarters and hope to get to bed tonight asap. Praying for the little one to sleep longer and my patience to hold out if I let her settle herself a little instead of taking her immediately to bed. I've had my cup of sleepytime tea, and if the rest of the gang cooperates, maybe I can go to bed now!

Mom. Needs. Sleep. Preferably a lot of it. And consecutive.

Stay tuned.

P.S. If you happen to have a great trick to help me out, do share!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you've done this, but praying can't hurt. I don't mean praying for sleep, I mean praying continuously until you fall asleep in your Father's lap.

Another thing that has worked occasionally is starting at 1000 and couting backward by 3s. It may not put you to sleep, but it will fatigue your mind so that it's not racing.

ζωὴν περισσὸν said...

YES, thank you for the reminder on the praying... done that, and love it.

However, my difficulty has been less with falling asleep myself, and more with the number of times my sleep is interrupted by little people.

Working toward trying Pam's hymns to sleep method, shuffling kiddos so they are sleeping with "buddies" and trying to get the bedtimes earlier again.

I wonder, maybe I need to give THEM the sleepytime tea before bed??

Anonymous said...

We have had great success with an earlier bedtime here lately. The babies are in bed by 6:30 most nights. which will all go to pot on Sunday night for Matt's installation service and the all too soon Advent services.But on normal nights, earlier is better. Babies at 6:30, little boys 7:30, big boys 9:30.

ζωὴν περισσὸν said...

I'm so glad for you, Pam. I'm relieved to say that since I posted this it's gotten better. The last couple of nights at least all the kiddos who sleep in the living room have settled fairly quickly, and the two littles are also more ready to rest for the night since I started spending a little time rocking, singing, and holding. Apparently I've been forgetting to do that for a while... can't imagine why??


I am encouraged by this in many ways, one of which is that it tells me I might not be in base survival mode the way I have been for so long... that maybe, maybe, we're a baby step further toward-- dare I say it?-- "normal?"