My son, who will be 7 in May, makes breakfast.
COOKS breakfast. For the family. He can make oatmeal, cream of wheat, and malt-o-meal. He can make scrambled eggs too, but he can't watch both at the same time. Still...
He is the fourth child, so yes, the older three (10, 9, and 8) can also help out in the kitchen. It is interesting, however, to see their differences in personality and temperament play out in this environment. I have taught them all to cook hot cereal, make scrambled eggs, and fry pancakes, but some are just, well, handier in the kitchen. And what's even more interesting to me, is that it's not just by gender.
My oldest son (10) is capable of reading and remembering an amazing amount of historical fact, can grasp abstract concepts, theological and otherwise, and converses intelligently about them. But put him in the kitchen with a few simple instructions, and he just looks at me, bewildered. Not that he doesn't try, he does, but it's just not his natural thing. And I am trying to learn patience, so that, for example, I don't ask him to whip out breakfast on a Sunday morning when we are running behind. He and the sister right after him are the first two I would ask to hold or feed the baby, however. He is kind and generous.
I would ask my oldest daughter though. And she is amazing in the kitchen. Still learning, but she understands the way my mind works-- duh, she's a girl. :) In fact, she and the next girl (5yo) made me a special breakfast on my birthday the other day of fried potatoes (one of my favorites!), scrambled eggs, and hot chocolate. And I beamed; the potatoes were done all the way through and browned on the outside, but not burned. Seasoned perfectly. That's MY girl. I won't even start on how she is with the baby.
Third child, a son (8) likes to help in the kitchen, but... he is better at large motor tasks than small motor tasks, let's say. Attention to certain details and, generally, neatness, are not his bag. He is a boy with energy, and a zest for life. He is the one I call on to bring me logs for the fireplace. Also very affectionate and patient, he is wonderful with the youngest children.
My five year old and down are not there yet. But if my almost 7 year old son is any indication, they will be soon enough, and the more examples they have to follow, the quicker they'll pick it up.
3 comments:
My b-day was the 13th! So... you gonna change your blog profile?
You know, Joy, it took me a moment to figure out what in the WORLD you were talking about.
Then I realized, oh yeah, birthdays mean a person is one year older.
Glad to know you are paying attention to the important details. :)
Birthdays are very important details! Now that I know our dates are close, I can just look up your blog and add one to find my age. It's much easier than having to remember that I'm a bicentennial babe and doing the math. :D
Post a Comment